Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Roasted Potatoes with things.

So I set a goal for myself to write on this blog twice a month. One of the entries to be food related and the other to be running or adventure related. I obviously didn't achieve this goal in the month of February, but I am going to try and make up for that by getting on track with what I want to accomplish with this blog project of mine.
So here is my first addition in the form of a recipe I enjoy. I hope that my recipe writing will improve as I continue to do these but hey it's a start.

This is one of my fall-back recipes that I end up putting together quickly after work on a fairly regular basis. There are lot's of options and variations I do depending on what I have available and how hungry I am. This is my favorite version of this dish.

Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes (sliced into 3inch spears about 1/2in thick)
4 medium chef potatoes (sliced into 6ths to form long spears about same size as the sweet potatoes)
1 large yellow onion (sliced 1/4inch thick top-to-bottom)
2ea Jalapeno (sliced 1/4inch thick top-to-bottom, with seeds still in depending on how much heat you prefer)
1/4cup coconut flakes
1/2bunch Kale (torn into large leaves)
1/2cup Fromage Blanc (or a fresh goat cheese)
4Tablespoons Olive oil, or Coconut oil
Salt

Method:
-Preheat oven to 375.
-Toss the potatoes, onion, jalapeno in 3 of the Tablespoons of oil and spread out evenly on a sheet pan. Generously season with coarse salt.
-Bake for 25min or until the potatoes are evenly pierced with a small knife.
-While the potatoes are baking take the remaining 1Tablespoon oil and coat the coconut flakes and the kale. Season with salt. Set aside until the potatoes are done.
-Pull the potatoes out of the oven and turn on your broiler.
-Put chunks (about quarter size) of the cheese on top of the potatoes and onions. Then evenly place the coconut and kale over the top of the potatoes. Don't stir them into the potatoes, just lay them on top.
-Put the tray back into the oven under the broiler and keep a very very close eye on it. The kale will begin to get very dried out and crisp, some pieces will burn (this is a good thing). Be patient with it and let the kale get really good and crisped, and they will turn into almost a kale chip. Once they are nicely crisped pull the tray out.
-Let everything cool for 5min and then eat.




I hope to have photos to be adding to this blog soon, but my camera had a little accident while kayaking and I haven't gotten a new one yet. So hopefully I'll be getting a new one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment